Technical Innovation Proposal Reflection

Eberge Dumay 

Prof Dvaidow

English 21007

May 22, 2023

Technical Innovation Proposal Reflection.

The technical innovation Proposal was by far one of the more technical assignments I’ve ever done. It required precise research on the chosen topic as we wanted the statistics to be as accurate as possible. It also required a significant amount of planning to make sure the information we provided was necessary and useful. We choose to write a proposal in an attempt of getting funding to innovate a device that would allow for better internet access for low-income neighborhoods in the city. This required us to come up with a precise plan of how our innovation will work, and how we planned on implementing said innovation within the population. Now with an assignment this technical, it’s a hassle for just one person to do by themselves, therefore we divided the work amongst ourselves as equally as we could. 

I was responsible for the technical description of how our device would work. I had researched current innovations that either aim to do what we were doing or serve a similar purpose. I was able to find a few innovations similar to ours which sparked some ideas on what we should aim for and provided us with some parameters on what the market demand would be. As we would not be the only competitors in that field, we needed to understand the market and its position. We needed to understand the relationship between the product and the customers. After figuring this out, I was able to set the parameters in which our product would fall within. After researching the market sector we fell in, it was time to design a product that would be competitive, yet cheap, and provide good service for those that needed it the most. After all, we planned to provide cheap or free wifi to those in need of it the most within the city. After doing all the research, learning about the market, and creating some statistics I was finally able to come up with a suitable idea of an innovation that would meet our needs courtesy of my teammates as this section was a team effort. 

As for the learning outcomes that came from this assignment, there are many. As stated I was in charge of coming up with an innovation that was able to provide wifi for lower-income people and neighborhoods. By doing this I learned how to properly read and evaluate market positions and sectors which is very important for a Business/Finance major like myself. I also learned more about research. I learn how to research more efficiently. I was able to easily find what I was looking for, and I knew exactly where to look. This has been a common result of most of the assignments we’ve done in class. Now when researching certain things, I know exactly where to go, what to look for, and what to do. This is an important skill to have in general as research is an important aspect of work and life. On top of research, I’ve picked up a lot of communication skills as well. As I said earlier, this assignment was quite rigorous due to the amount of work and research that was required, therefore an ample amount of conversation was needed between the group and I believe we executed that well. We had to communicate efficiently and well enough that we were all on the same page and that we all knew what to, do and how to do it if assistance was needed. This is important in my development as a business/Finance major as speaking and communicating within a team is a crucial skill to have, and this assignment and course, in general, have prepared me well for that. 

On top of the research and communication skills I picked up on, I also picked up on presentation-building skills and in a way public speaking skills as well. While I didn’t have too big of a role in creating the presentation itself. I was able to alter the slides around how I wanted them to be, and I was able to format the slides the way I wanted as well. When it comes to the public speaking aspect, I got better as I felt less anxious to speak in comparison to the first presentation we did where I had extreme anxiety. While I didn’t necessarily get the chance to speak during this presentation, I have consistently improved my speaking skills throughout this course and it is due to the presentations we had. While sitting at home and speaking over Zoom is not the same as standing in front of a group of people and speaking, I definitely believe it prepared me to speak in the event that I had to speak in front of a group of people.