Introduction Letter

1234 Island Street

Brooklyn, NY 11226

January 21, 2022

Eberge Dumay

Ms. Julianne Davidow

City College of New York

160 Convent Avenue

New York, NY 10031

Dear Ms. Davidow,

I am writing to introduce myself and to give you a perspective on who I am as your student. This is my first year, second semester here at City College, and I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about myself and engineering as a whole.

I grew up in Haiti, and my family and I moved to the U.S. in 2013. At first, I was amazed by the cultural difference and the beautiful lights. I was not used to living in a big city with big lights and just chaos. Although the transition from a small little town in Haiti to a big city in New York was rough, it was a pleasurable experience. I was able to quickly pick up the language quite quickly being able to have decent conversations just after a couple of months of learning. It took me a while to truly fall in love with the city, but over time I learned to appreciate it for what it is, what it has taught me, and what it has offered me.

A meaningful experience I have had was moving to the U.S. Moving here opened my eyes to so many possibilities. Also moving here has exposed me to so many different cultures and people I never once knew existed. From the Spanish communities to the Brown and Asian communities, I learned a lot about different foods, religions, and cultures that I had once never known about.

My favorite subjects in school were always math and science as I found them to be the most fascinating. I did not get the opportunities to participate in many extracurriculars, but I did run track in middle school and my freshman year of high school. I’ve always loved spending time with friends and exploring. I also love to play video games and write poems.

The reason I’m leaning toward engineering is that I’ve always been fascinated by anything mechanical, especially cars. I like the mechanical engineering field because I love engineering and working to create and fix mechanical objects. As a kid, I would always take my toys apart to see how they worked, and then try to put them back together. 9 times out 10 I was unsuccessful which would make my parents mad, but it is not nice to stop a child from being curious.

My dream for the future is to be an engineer working in the automotive field. My main areas of interest in engineering are the automotive and aerospace areas. I fell in love with everything in transportation, especially bikes and cars in middle school. My boredom led to watching so many car videos and engineering videos on how cars, trains, bikes, and planes work that I became obsessed.

What I would like to learn this semester is what it is like to be an engineer, And what does it mean to be an engineer? My concern is, do I have what it takes to become an engineer, and am I willing to put in all the effort to become an engineer?

Sincerely,

Eberge Dumay